Results from Saturday’s Xplode MMA Fight Series at Valley Center

Xplode MMA Fight Series: “Rumble off the Reservation,” August 6, 2011 in Valley Center, CA

In Saturday night’s Main Event of the XPLODE MMA Fight Series at the San Pasquale Indian Reservation in Valley Center, CA., Sean “the Destroyer” Loeffler (24-5) of The Compound in Oceanside mauled his opponent, Brandon Gaines of Miami, Oklahoma. Gaines, with an implausible record of 5 wins and 17 losses, never stood a chance.


After his victory over Brandon Gaines, Sean Loeffler (C) celebrates with the ring card lady and his corner.                                    Photo: Jim Wyatt

The show’s promoter Gregg Sharp (C) poses for a photo with the fighters featured in the Main Event, Sean Loeffler (L) and Brandon Gaines (R).              

I don’t know what you can say about this one other than it was over in a hurry. On their introduction both gentleman appeared to have similar builds, both weighed approximately 190 pounds, both are 6’3” tall and they were the same age, 29. After the signal to start the bout, Loeffler, minus the cape, turned into Superman and lifted Gaines off his feet to slam him into the canvas as if he was a rag doll. Seconds later he was on top of his opponent. Loeffler gained his thirteenth submission by utilizing the arm bar at :59 of the first round.

Saul Galindo (right, the eventual winner) and Joe Condon (L) patiently wait the judges’ decision for Bout #11. Photo: Jim Wyatt

In the co-main event, Bout #11, Saul Galindo (4-0-0, 2 KOs, 2 Decisions) of The Arena MMA Gym in San Diego, CA. came out victorious over Joe Condon (6-2) of Cobra Kai MMA after three tough rounds.

After coming out victorious in Bout #11, Saul Galindo is joined by a buddy and two of his instructors Pat Speight (L) and Jeff Clark (R). Photo: Jim Wyatt

From the outset both fighters unloaded knock out blows and at the same time skillfully avoided the many takedown attempts. Galindo’s success came from his powerful knee kicks and left hooks that kept catching Condon flush on the chin.

After his name is announced as the winner of Bout #10 Xavier Stokes (R) raises his arm to acknowledge the cheers of his supporters. Photo: Jim Wyatt

Bout #10 featured a 19 year-old welterweight from Riverside, CA. by the name of Xavier “X-man” Stokes (3-2) of Riverside Submission, taking the fight at the very last minute against local favorite Joey Neri of Dirty Tactics MMA. After just 1:37 into round one, the quicker Stokes had himself a tap out.

Referee Jason Herzog raises the arm of Donnis Reed (R) the winner of Bout #9 by submission over Roman Montiel (L). Photo: Jim Wyatt

Bout #9 featured Donnis Reed of the Undisputed Fitness and Training Center taking just 37 seconds to get his opponent Roman Montiel of Fight Ugly to tap out after an amazingly quick arm bar.

At the :37 mark of the first round, referee Jason Herzog (C) called a halt to Bout #8 after Baruch (R) had his opponent Robert Hefel in a rear naked choke. Photo: Jim Wyatt

Bout #8 featured Carlos Baruch Ferreira, a well known instructor at City Boxing Downtown San Diego by way of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Over nine years ago, Baruch received a black belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu from the legendary Carlson Gracie. The man known simply as Baruch is a seasoned competitor who’s frequently called upon to train fighters in all the top MMA organizations.

To hone his craft he has often trained with people like former UFC Light Heavyweight Champ – Vitor Belfort, current UFC Middleweight Champ – Anderson Silva, former PrideFC Heavyweight Champ – Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, former BJJ Mundial Champ Amaury Bitteti, and current WEC Middleweight Champ – Paulo Filho. Whomever they placed in front of this legend, he was going to be in deep doo-doo. The bout lasted all of 37 seconds. Shortly after the signal to start, his victim, Robert Hefel of Dirty Tactics MMA went down with a thud heard clear across the canyon. Seconds later came the rear naked choke. The bout ended at the :37 mark of the first round.

Blaine Jackson (R) has his arm raised in victory after defeating David Raya (L) in Bout #7. Photo: J. Wyatt

Bout #7 featured two heavyweights, David Raya of Xplode MMA versus Blaine Jackson of the Pilot Built Training Center of Oceanside, Ca. No other bout had the crowd so totally involved, so engaged. In the end, it was Jackson getting the win at 2:40 of the third round after referee Jason Herzog called for a halt to the bout.

Brady Harrison (L) has his arm raised in victory after defeating Jason Miknuk (R) in Bout #6. Photo: J. Wyatt

Bout #6 featured Brady Harrison of Fight Ugly, the gym with the classy T-shirts with F U on the back going up against Jason Miknuk of South Bay Jiu-Jitsu. Harrison had the advantage in this one especially since he was the more accurate striker.

Brody Farber poses for a photo after defeating Ryan Trotter in Bout #5. Photo: Jim Wyatt

Bout #5 was a mismatch with the veteran Brodie Farber of FU2 Riverside Submission giving Ryan Trotter of Dirty Tactics MMA, who’s only been training for six months, a lesson in patience and humility. At 1:22 of the first round, the much younger Trotter became the victim of a rear naked choke.

Ryan Trotter (C) is consoled by his corner after his loss to the more experienced Brodie Farber. Photo: Jim Wyatt

Farber’s original opponent pulled a no show at the weigh-ins and the over-anxious Trotter wanted desperately to be the fill-in. Despite their disparity in experience, the unflinching Mr. Trotter waited until 10 p.m. Friday evening to see if Farber’s opponent would show or not.

Between rounds Jake Mapes, the winner of Bout #4, became a spokesperson for Magner’s fine cider, a sponsor of the event. Photo: J.Wyatt

In Bout #4, Jake Mapes of The Arena Gym in Point Loma had no problem defeating Matt Lagler of Undisputed MMA. From round one on, Mapes simply outworked Lagler to gain an unanimous decision.

It was Matt Lagler’s misfortune to be locked in a battle with the ever tough, Jake Mapes of Arena MMA. Photo: Jim Wyatt

Kyle Wender (R) has his arm raised in victory after defeating Gabriel Lopez in Bout #3. Photo: Jim Wyatt

Bout #3 featured Kyle Wender, a former Jiu-Jitsu competitor (with a 16-1 record) and wrestler from Fresno, CA, who now trains at City Boxing in San Diego. Wender had no problem defeating Gabriel Lopez winning his match by submission at 1:01 of the first round with a rear naked choke.

Manny Murillo (in red) celebrates after his defeat of James Cooper in Bout #2. Photo: Jim Wyatt

In Bout #2, James Cooper had a difficult time living up to the motto of his gym, Never Quit Pit Bull Jiu-Jitsu, when he ran into Manny Murillo who trains with Team Quest. Murillo, who just recently turned pro, won the Epic Fighting Cruiserweight Title back on March 27, 2011. Murillo, who after training for less than two years, is what you call a natural. He won the match quite easily by TKO at 1:05 of the first round.

After Bout #2 James Cooper (R) needed an assist as he left the octagon.         Photo: Jim Wyatt

Derek Anderson (L) has his arm raised in victory by referee Jason Herzog after his defeat of Leo Franklin (R) in Bout #1. Photo: Jim Wyatt

Bout #1 featured Derek Anderson of Xplode MMA defeating Leo Franklin of World’s MMA via tap-out at the 2:42 mark of the third round by a rear naked choke. For the majority of their fight, Anderson was on top and wailing away at a gentleman who appeared impervious to pain.

Share This Post

Pin It on Pinterest