San Diego boxers entertaining here, there and everywhere

San Diego: Results from “Heavy Hitters” at the Four Points by Sheraton Hotel

Once again, promoter Bobby DePhilippis, matchmaker Jorge Marron and event organizer Gabriel Barron got together to produce an exciting boxing card at the Four Points by Sheraton Hotel off Aero Drive in San Diego.

In Friday’s Bout #1, veterans Adolfo Landeros (21-20-2, 10 KOs) of Calexico, CA and Manuel Sarabia (16-31-10, 11 KOs of Culiacan, Sinaloa, Mexico went at it in a contest that would baffle even Harold Letterman.


Manuel Sarabia of Culiacan, Sinaloa, Mexico

Throughout their hotly contested match, it was a back and forth struggle between fighters of similar styles. After Sarabia took the first two rounds (by the slimmest of margins), back came Landeros to take rounds three and four. To be fair, a fifth round was necessary; instead they had to settle on a draw.

Originally it was thought Adolfo Landeros (C) had won the match until things got sorted out to discover the bout was actually a draw. Photo: J. Wyatt











In Bout#2, Pablo Armenta (6-0-1, 2 KOs), (boxer on the left) from South San Diego, pounded his foe Federico Martinez, (boxer on the right), repeatedly with two and three punch combinations. By the end of round two, a good size welt had formed under Martinez’s left eye. After noticing that Martinez was becoming less affective in round three, referee David Denkin sought the advice of the attending physician and together they decided it was time to pull the plug.

In his debut, Joe Delgadillo, who's day job with San Diego Gas & Electric involves working on high voltage lines, got the TKO victory over prizefighter extraordinaire, Charles Tucker. Photo: Jim Wyatt

In Bout #3, Joe Delgadillo of Chula Vista, a 230 pounder made his debut against Charles Tucker (3-3-0, 3 KOs), a more seasoned fighter who outweighed him by 39 pounds. Whereas Delgadillo was out to fulfill a lifetime dream, his 41 year-old opponent, who turns 42 next month, may have been only interested in the size of his paycheck.

After a heated exchange to close out Round #3, it appeared Tucker, who did have quick hands, became winded. As he sat on his stool, a member of the Californian Athletic Commission witnessed the referee, Jose Cobian, asking him if he was okay; did he want to continue. After repeating the question three times and getting no response, Cobian was duty bound to call for an end to the match, an end that was never disputed. Tucker’s record took the last hit as he dropped to (3-4).


After his win, Adrian Vargas (L) joins Frankie Martinez (2nd from the left) and his support group in the center of the ring. Photo: Jim Wyatt

Bout #4 featured Adrian Vargas (3-0-0, 1 KO) of Undisputed Downtown going up against Frankie Martinez (0-3 with two NCs, no contest) of Real KO Boxing in North Las Vegas; a rematch of a bout held earlier this year (February 25) at the same venue, an unanimous decision victory for Vargas.

In Friday’s contest, Vargas, who throws hard (understatement), came out firing on all cylinders. The only thing to ponder was how long would Martinez last. Vargas used every punch combination in his arsenal, from the winging uppercuts to the left, right combos. Before long it became obvious the only strategy left for Martinez was to go for broke and throw more looping overhand rights. As he did in February, Vargas took every round to gain an unanimous decision victory.

Interesting to note, according to the official boxing schedule, Martinez is scheduled to face Cameron Kreal, who’s making his debut, next week, at the Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas.

James Parison (C) poses for a photo after his victory over Eddie Hunter. Photo: Jim Wyatt

In Friday’s main event, super middleweight James Parison was making his first return after fracturing his right hand in a win over Loren Myers back on November 18, 2010, at an event held at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Mission Valley. Fully healed and in tiptop condition, the 29 year-old from South San Diego appears ready to once again advance his promising career.

Not much was known about his opponent, Eddie Hunter, from Kent, Washington, only that he was a 24 year-old middleweight who was willing to take the fight on just two days notice.

During their bout, Parison was like a mad dog from the opening bell; the kind with a rag doll in its mouth, shaking it about. He was relentless and especially with his villainous tactics. Even when Hunter caught him with a couple of weighty blows, Parison seemed unaffected.

During this six round bout, Parison averaged a minimum of two infractions per round. The most underhanded being his tactic of pulling Hunter’s head down and the other the continual low blows for which he had a point deducted.

Eddie Hunter (L) of Kent, Washington, poses for a photo with his trainer after his grueling battle with James Parison. Photo: Jim Wyatt

Assessing Hunter’s performance: From the opening bell, you could tell he came to win and was not intimidated. When it comes to the punch stats, he tried but couldn’t keep up with Parison’s output. Even after getting hit repeatedly by the low blows, he never made a big deal about it. He was a real trooper who looked relaxed, quite athletic and seemed intent on entertaining the patrons no matter what the outcome.

Not to make excuses for a fighter but Hunter did have a few obstacles to overcome in his preparation for Friday’s fight.

At Thursday’s weigh-in, he needed to weigh circa 168 pounds and he did. His trainer said, “Eddie would have taken this fight under any circumstances because he needed the money. Until a week ago, we had his weight down to 158 pounds. We were hoping to get him a fight in the weight class he feels most comfortable, super welterweight (147-154). But stuff happens and we had to put the weight back on.”

Then, with the Comic Con fanatics in town and subsequent gobbling up of all the hotel rooms, Hunter and his coach had to stay at a Motel 6 on “E” Street in Chula Vista (20 minutes away). Since their room only had one bed, Hunter volunteered to sleep on the floor. Believe it or not, Hunter said he was able to sleep for 14 hours from Thursday at 10 p.m. until Friday at noon.

As far as meals go, he had a light lunch on Friday and then didn’t eat anything before the opening bell, approximately eight hours later.

Also at the show, special recognition was given to boxing manager/trainer Lou Messina for not only helping boxers but in the promotion of the sport. Joining Lou Messina (holding the plaque) is from the left, boxers Manuel Sarabia, Christian Bojorquez and Christian's father/coach, Emilio Bojorquez. Photo: Jim Wyatt












Ontario, California: results from the Doubletree Hotel

Juan Carlos Burgos unloads a solid left hook on Gilberto Sanchez Leon.

At the Doubletree Hotel in Ontario, CA, Juan Carlos Burgos (27-1-0, 19 KOs) of Tijuana bested Gilberto Sanchez Leon (31-10-2, 11 KOs) of Mexicali. Burgos, who had won his last four non title bouts by knockout victory, did more than enough to secure an unanimous decision victory. Judges scored the bout 100-90, 98-92 and 97-93, all in favor of Burgos. With the win, the WBC ranked #7 featherweight stays in title contention but appears to be no threat to topple the current champions Jhonny Gonzales of the WBC, Chris John of the WBA or Orlando Salido of the WBO.

On the undercard, Abraham Lopez (15-0, 11 KOs) of La Puente, CA, beat Olvin Mejia (4-4-3, 4 KOs) of Laredo, Texas.

Tucson, Arizona: Christopher Martin remains undefeated after dominating Jose Silveira

Chris Martin (23-0-2) of Chula Vista, Ca.

Unbeaten IBF #5/WBC #10 super bantamweight Christopher “the San Diego Kid” Martin (23-0-2, 6 KOs) of Chula Vista thoroughly outboxed Jose Silveira (12-4, 4 KOs) over the entire 10 rounds on Friday night at the Casino Del Sol Resort in Tucson, Arizona. The judges’ scores of 98-91, 99-90, 99-90 confirm how lopsided a victory it was. Silveira’s shorter stature, his in your face vulnerability and lack of offense made him the perfect foil for Martin’s style of sharpshooting from different angles.

Share This Post

Pin It on Pinterest